Monday, November 17, 2008

rats in the house

Estella has a pet rat named Minnie. She loves that ugly rat so much. I can't believe that I let her get it, but as a mom you learn to compromise. She really wanted a pet donkey, oh and it was going to stay in her room with her. she was going to train it to go outside and everything. I knew that David had a pet rat when he was young so I thought it would be a good bonding thing for him and her so I told David to go take her to get one. She has had Minnie for almost 3 years. That is almost half of her life. Little did I know that rats don't have a very long life span. Back in September Minnie got really sick and I thought for sure she was going to die, so I tried to prepare Estella for it. David and Estella took her to the vet. they didn't think she would make it either. They gave her some antibiotics, and faithful Daddy gave it to the rat and gave the rat breathing treatment several times a day. I just prayed that somehow she would make it thru. Estella was really having a hard time with going to a new school and all the changes that had been taking place. I just worried that she couldn't handle loosing Minnie right then. Amazingly Minnie inproved and did well until about a week ago. I think Estella is more stable now and I have talked alot to her about minnie and letting her go. I think minnie will probably die soon, but I am so hgratful that she has held on a little longer till Estella could get more grounded. We will miss her but we know she will be waiting for us along with dutchess in heaven.

2 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

David's rat lived for something live 7 years! It was amazing. Then it got a big tumor and dies. RIP Wiggles.

You know....you could always just see if the pet store has another rat about Minnie's size, and when Minnie "goes", you can just slip in Minnie 2.0 and nobody would be the wiser... ;)

Carol said...

Wow, that is going way over and beyond the call of parentalism (like that word?) when you give a rat breathing treatments!!! Never knew that you could do that.

But, I do understand about the rat since we had Julius for many, many years. He was rescued from some BYU science lab and given to us and lived as a member of our family for years until he died of old age. He loved popcorn and eggnog.